snd_hda: no sound at all.

Alexander Motin mav at FreeBSD.org
Fri Dec 25 20:36:12 UTC 2009

Yasir Khalid wrote:
> hdac0: GPIO: 0x40000004 NumGPIO=4 NumGPO=0 NumGPI=0 GPIWake=0 GPIUnsol=1

This codec has 4 GPIO pins. In different systems they gave different
meaning. In laptops they are often control external amplifiers an
muters, so if not configured properly they may block the sound. You
should try to set all 16 combinations of them with hint.hdac.0.config
loader tunable.

> hdac0: 3 associations found:
> hdac0: Association 0 (1) out:
> hdac0:  Pin nid=20 seq=0
> hdac0:  Pin nid=21 seq=15
> hdac0: Association 1 (2) out:
> hdac0:  Pin nid=30 seq=0
> hdac0: Association 2 (3) in:
> hdac0:  Pin nid=24 seq=0
> hdac0:  Pin nid=25 seq=1
> hdac0: Tracing association 0 (1)
> hdac0:  Pin 20 traced to DAC 2
> hdac0:  Pin 21 traced to DAC 2 and hpredir 0
> hdac0: Association 0 (1) trace succeeded
> hdac0: Tracing association 1 (2)
> hdac0:  Pin 30 traced to DAC 6
> hdac0: Association 1 (2) trace succeeded
> hdac0: Tracing association 2 (3)
> hdac0:  Pin 24 traced to ADC 7
> hdac0:  Pin 25 traced to ADC 7
> hdac0: Association 2 (3) trace succeeded
> hdac0: Tracing input monitor
> hdac0:  Tracing nid 11 to out
> hdac0:  nid 11 is input monitor
> hdac0:  Tracing nid 36 to out
> hdac0: Tracing beeper
> hdac0:  nid 29 traced to out
> hdac0: Enabling headphone/speaker audio routing switching:
> hdac0:     as=0 sense nid=21 [UNSOL]
> hdac0: Pin sense: nid=21 res=0x00000000

Looking on this

> When i _*do plug*_ an earphone i received message in dmesg like this
> hdac0: Unsol Tag: 0x00000000
> hdac0: Pin sense: nid=21 res=0x80000000
> When _*I do unplug*_
> hdac0: Unsol Tag: 0x00000000
> hdac0: Pin sense: nid=21 res=0x00000000

and this I would say that codec detected properly.

> And for your information, I am using laptop, which is having 2 jacks,
> speaker and mic at front, see here for the picture
> <http://techtickerblog.com/2006/07/06/benq-joybook-t31/>

According to codec configuration you should have digital output
somewhere also. May be front connector is somehow dual-functional and so
it lights when you play via digital output device. May be switching is
also controller by GPIOs.

--
Alexander Motin