xine sound out on dvd playing

Chuck Robey chuckr at telenix.org
Mon Dec 14 05:37:49 UTC 2009

I can't get xine's sound output working, and seeing as xine WAS my favorite dvd
player last time I had my audio up ('bput a year back) I want to find out what's
wrong with xine's configuration, so I can fix it.  Couple of questions might
help things ...

First, can I use oss audio at the same time that I use the regular snd_hda?
There seems to be a large selection of mp3 players that want to assume I'm using
oss, but seeing as the only way I'm currently playing dvd's (using vlc with the
snd_hda only) isn't using oss, I don't want to use oss if it'll interfere with
my spdif audio (that's very good now).

Second, several different mp3 players want the name of a dvd and/or audio node
in /dev/, however none of the documentation for snd_hda says anything at all
about the nodename in /dev.  Could someone supply that?

OK, lastly, anyone who's using xine, and also using spdif output, what "driver"
(xine's idea of what driver means) should I use, and is there any port I oughta
use to get it to work?  That question is for both video AND audio, but my video
is actually working for xine already, so I'm really more interested in the audio
side of that question.

Thanks for the help.