mplayer SVN plays video too fast on FreeBSD

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 8 15:44:22 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 3:14 PM, Robert Noland <rnoland at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-12-07 at 19:14 +0000, Tom Evans wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I sent this to the mplayer mailing list earlier today, without
>> thinking that probably someone on multimedia@ has tried to compile
>> mplayer from svn. Has anyone succesfully managed to do it? - and get a
>> working player out of it!
>
> I haven't tried mplayer from SVN, but the video playing too fast issue
> is your audio codec.  mplayer (and gstreamer, iirc) seem to set the
> frame rate based on the audio.  Generally, what I have seen is that
> people with ATI/AMD (radeon) video cards with HDMI ports end up with the
> HDMI port as dsp0.  If you aren't running the radeonhd driver with the
> AUDIO option set, the codec isn't initialized properly and so the video
> plays too fast.  To correct this issue, usually all you need to do is
> set the sysctl hw.snd.default_unit to the correct pcm device. Basically,
> if you have the following:
>
> balrog% cat /dev/sndstat
> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm: 64bit 2009061500/amd64)
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <HDA ATI R6xx HDMI PCM #0 HDMI> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac0 kld
> snd_hda [MPSAFE] (1p:1v/0r:0v channels simplex)
> pcm1: <HDA Analog Devices AD1989B PCM #0 Analog> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac1
> kld snd_hda [MPSAFE] (1p:4v/1r:2v channels duplex default)
> pcm2: <HDA Analog Devices AD1989B PCM #1 Analog> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac1
> kld snd_hda [MPSAFE] (1p:1v/0r:0v channels simplex)
> pcm3: <HDA Analog Devices AD1989B PCM #2 Digital> at cad 0 nid 1 on
> hdac1 kld snd_hda [MPSAFE] (1p:1v/0r:0v channels simplex)
> pcm4: <HDA Analog Devices AD1989B PCM #3 Digital> at cad 0 nid 1 on
> hdac1 kld snd_hda [MPSAFE] (1p:1v/0r:0v channels simplex)
>
> Setting "sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=1" will choose the primary analog
> pcm for audio output and mplayer will work fine.
>
> robert.

Thanks Robert, the mplayer list also said that mplayer syncs to audio,
so I've got a few things to check there tonight :)

I'm not using radeonhd or hdmi, I have an amplifier connected to the
onboard snd_hda via spdif, and use spdif pass through if available on
the source. I already specify hw.snd.default_unit=2, since that is
seemingly the correct device:

FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm: 64bit 2009061500/amd64)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <HDA VIA VT1708S_0 PCM #0 Analog> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac0 kld
snd_hda [MPSAFE] (1p:1v/1r:1v channels duplex)
pcm1: <HDA VIA VT1708S_0 PCM #1 Digital> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac0 kld
snd_hda [MPSAFE] (1p:1v/0r:0v channels simplex)
pcm2: <HDA VIA VT1708S_0 PCM #2 Digital> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac0 kld
snd_hda [MPSAFE] (1p:1v/0r:0v channels simplex default)

Audio plays correctly for both AC3 and MP3 audio tracks in both
mplayer svn and the port. I wonder if it is possible the codec on this
snd_hda card is slightly 'strange' and doing something out of the
ordinary - maybe I'll have a browse of the linux azalia driver and see
if they have any quirks for it.

Cheers

Tom