Help picking a video card and other related gear

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 22:50:35 PDT 2009

I could use some primary help with video issues.
And secondary help on the motherboard.
I've got seriously old gear and it's upgrade time :)

I'm currently running 1280x1024 on 21" and I need more desktop.
So I put together some minimum video things:

Requirements...
1) Freebsd, amd64 [for zfs and the future of things], xorg
2) DVI-I or DVI-D dual-link card for those 30" 2560x1600 displays
3) Well supported, _open_source_, in the tree, video card drivers:
o  I don't want to rely on the card vendor to release binary blobs.
o  I don't want to end up with a useless video card when
   xorg9/freebsd10 come around.
o  I don't care about the brand on the box as long as the right chips
   are soldered in place. Cheap works if it gets the job done :)
4) PCIe interface or integrated on motherboard.

Wants...
1) Analog RGB output up to 1080p for feeding old school projectors
   and backup CRT monitors. I'm betting a single card could provide
   it via DVI-I or D-SUB15 with maybe an xorg mode switch? VIVO?
2) The ability to color calibrate one or both cards via the xorg
   driver would be useful. I can spyder it from a windows box so
   just having the xorg knobs would suffice.  Does anyone do this
   under xorg?
3) A second connector off the same card for feeding a smaller
   secondary monitor at the same time.
4) Some sort of power save mode... LCD off, card idle, etc.

I'm still shopping for motherboard and chipset. I don't think I'll
find 2560x1600 dvi dual link on an integrated chipset? Thinking
maybe AMD 790GX and AMD SB750 if FreeBSD likes it.

I might as well go HTPC and stick an HDTV OTA ATSC / QAM tuner in
there. And I'll eventually need to capture NTSC audio/video from
dying analog sources somehow. VOIP/webcam, mplayer, dvd upscaling,
etc. That's all 2D and largely CPU based afaik.

CPU will likely be...
amd: phenom x3 8450e, athlon x2 5050e or 5600+
intel: core2 duo e4300, e4400, e4500

All the integrated gig network, SATA, and USB must be in the tree
and working well. Boot from USB needs to work. Same with sound.

Though I'd like to play 3d games on freebsd, that interest does NOT
override the above fulltime workstation requirements. I can always
boot or build a windows toybox for that. So 3d support is only a
bonus. I don't think it even exists open source in tree anyways?

Just looking for hardware ideas... Thanks.