Which Userland Interface for USB Video Class Driver?

Markus Rechberger mrechberger at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 22:00:13 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 3:47 PM, Dieter <freebsd at sopwith.solgatos.com> wrote:
>> > I would write/port a driver for USB video class for FreeBSD's
>> > new USB stack (usb2). OpenBSD and NetBSD both has had their
>> > own implementations for the device class as some people referred
>> > to recently. But which userland interface, bktr(4) or V4L2, should
>> > I use for the driver?
>>
>>   We've only got two choices:
>>   -- bktr is dead,
>
> Not dead.  We will need bktr support for many years.
>
>>   It only supports analog -- analog is a dead end too.
>
> We will need analog video support for many years.

remember cable providers will not shut down the analog signal that fast.
Also S-Video, Scart belong into that area, webcams with different input formats.
Think of analog tv devices as webcams with a tuner.

>>   V4L2 has a well defined interface,
>
> Are you saying the penguins got something right?
> That would be... unusual.

it's improving. not perfect at all yet there's not a single TV
application available
which can handle all the analog TV tuners (same in windows too actually).

Markus