Video4Linux2 and BSD

Intron is my alias on the Internet intron at intron.ac
Mon Sep 22 13:09:25 UTC 2008

mrechberger wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 4:07 AM, Henry Hu <henry.hu.sh at gmail.com> wrote:
>> They've also got a USB video class driver. Hope it would be imported soon.
>>
>> 2008/9/22 Dieter <freebsd at sopwith.solgatos.com>:
>>> FYI, NetBSD now has Video4Linux2.
>>>
>>> http://www.netbsd.org/changes/#200809-video
>>>
>>> Ob-counterpoint: It isn't obvious from the summary whether
>>> this addresses the kernel bloat issue raised in
>>>
>>> http://video4bsd.sourceforge.net/
>>> and
>>> http://wiki.freebsd.org/HDTV
>>>

> great news!
>
> Markus

For the driver of USB video class, porting from NetBSD/OpenBSD will
become harder than before. The new USB stack of FreeBSD, a deeply
rewritten version of the previous one, will be committed into the main
source tree. The previous one is mainly ported from NetBSD while the
new stack's programming interface is quite different than the previous
one. Thus, porting driver from NetBSD/OpenBSD maybe will consume more
(especially consumed time to debug) than writing a new one for FreeBSD,
though I believe the new stack is better organized than the
previous/original one from NetBSD.