help understanding sound/snd_hda on mac pro w/ -STABLE.

George Hartzell hartzell at alerce.com
Tue Sep 9 04:05:18 UTC 2008

swell.k at gmail.com writes:
 > George Hartzell <hartzell at alerce.com> writes:
 >
 > [...]
 > > An even simpler question would be, how can I test the other pcm
 > > devices?
 >
 > If you look closely at /dev/sndstat output you'll notice there is
 > `default' keyword on one of the pcm's. To change it you have to
 > set hw.snd.default_unit accordingly. It's documented in sound(4).
 > Next time you'll run mpg123 it will use different /dev/dsp.

bingo, at least a little bit with Alexander's 20080905 patch.

With hint.hdac.0.config="gpio1" in /boot/device.hints and
hw.snd.default_unit="2" I can use mpg123 to play sound out of the
line-out jack in the back of the unit.

I've tried combinations of gpio0, gpio1, gpio2 and default_unit's of
0,1,2,3 and can't get sound out of the headphone jack on the front of
the machine.

Thanks for the patch and the help understanding what's going on!

g.