Sound on Dell Inspiron 1525

Alexander Motin mav at FreeBSD.org
Fri Sep 5 10:09:25 UTC 2008

Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> I have a Dell Inspiron 1525.  I cannot get sound to work.  I tried
> Alexander Motin's new snd_hda patches at
>
>       http://people.freebsd.org/~mav/
>
> I used the Sept 4 patch on CURRENT.  Sound still didn't work.  dmesg
> produces stuff like this:
>
> hdac0: <Intel 82801H High Definition Audio Controller> mem
> 0xfe9fc000-0xfe9fffff irq 21 at device 27.0 on pci0
> hdac0: <HDA Driver Revision: 20080904_0106>
> hdac0: [ITHREAD]
> hdac0: <HDA Codec #0: Conexant (Unknown)>
> hdac0: <HDA Codec #1: Silicon Image (Unknown)>
> hdac0: <HDA Codec #2: Sigmatel STAC9228X>
>
> When I try to run a program like mpg123, I get a message like this:

Looking that you have 3 different codecs in your system and at least the
last of them is powerful enough you should probably have more then one
pcmX/dspX device. So you can try to play via other ones also.

> pcm0:virtual:dsp0.vp0: play interrupt timeout, channel dead

I haven't seen such error before. But if it is an interrupt problem you
can try device polling mode of driver..

> I would be happy to help out with any diagnostics you like.  The sound
> card isn't a big need for me, so if it doesn't work out its not a huge
> problem.  But if anyone wants to make it work, I will be glad to be a
> guinea-pig.

Send me please complete verbose dmesg out. This may be an interesting
case to investigate.

--
Alexander Motin