Sound on Dell Inspiron 1525

Stephen Montgomery-Smith stephen at math.missouri.edu
Fri Sep 5 01:56:35 UTC 2008

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525.  I cannot get sound to work.  I tried
Alexander Motin's new snd_hda patches at

       http://people.freebsd.org/~mav/

I used the Sept 4 patch on CURRENT.  Sound still didn't work.  dmesg
produces stuff like this:

hdac0: <Intel 82801H High Definition Audio Controller> mem
0xfe9fc000-0xfe9fffff irq 21 at device 27.0 on pci0
hdac0: <HDA Driver Revision: 20080904_0106>
hdac0: [ITHREAD]

hdac0: <HDA Codec #0: Conexant (Unknown)>
hdac0: <HDA Codec #1: Silicon Image (Unknown)>
hdac0: <HDA Codec #2: Sigmatel STAC9228X>

When I try to run a program like mpg123, I get a message like this:

pcm0:virtual:dsp0.vp0: play interrupt timeout, channel dead

I would be happy to help out with any diagnostics you like.  The sound
card isn't a big need for me, so if it doesn't work out its not a huge
problem.  But if anyone wants to make it work, I will be glad to be a
guinea-pig.