Burning to IDE DVD Burner ...

Philipp Ost pj at smo.de
Sat Oct 18 03:25:04 UTC 2008

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Is this possible?  I just tried with tkdvd, and it spits out cam related
> errors, so it doesn't *look* like I can do it with growisofs ... am I missing
> something?

It is possible. I've done it several times (single and double layer disks).

For single layer DVDs I use
growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/cd0=file.iso

To burn a DL-DVD I have/had to set the write speed to 2 (else it
wouldn't work at all, even if the burner itself is capable of 4x):
growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/cd0=file.iso -speed=2

dmesg reports the following:
acd0: DVDR <HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B/A101> at ata1-master UDMA33

The only problem I have is mounting DVD-RAM disks, but that's a totally
different story.

HTH,
Philipp