[OT] Streaming service...?

Norberto Meijome numardbsd at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 16:39:48 PST 2008

Hi everyone,

Asking for advice :

I have quite a few albums ripped - currently being served via SlimServer from
one of my FBSD7 boxes. Clients are anything that streams mp3 (most of
them, except windows media player)...but I am finding SlimServer quite annoying,
in the sense that u need to connect to it so you can THEN create a playlist...

I also don't like that there isn't really much security ... UserB can get on my
SlimServer and change the music i'm listening to. Which isn't a problem when
using it @ home ...but I sometimes open it up for friends and it can be messy...

Is any of you using (or know of) some other software that will generate n
streams, that can be managed centrally (via web interface or other). Options I
cam up with so far :

- patch up / fork SlimServer...

- a playlist and stream manager for IceCast .. don't know which is good..

- VLC as server ??

- Apple's media streaming server ?

thanks for any ideas || pointers

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak, and remove
all doubt.

Warned.