FreeBSD as a HTPC!

Bernhard Fröhlich decke at bluelife.at
Thu Nov 27 08:28:37 PST 2008

On Thu, November 27, 2008 4:14 pm, Vladimir Grebenschikov wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-11-27 at 13:58 +0100, Anders Troback wrote:
>
>> yes I'm talking about a Home Theater PC:-)
>>
>> Well, I'm thinking about something like Linux MCE or Elisa!
>>
>> I don't have a exact idea about how I want it because I don't know what
>> to expect but I'm hoping that I will find something that a can squeeze
>> down on a flash card or a usb drive (with TinyBSD or something) and
>> have the media on the network!

8GB CF is cheap nowadays so i don't see any sense in striping down the
FreeBSD minimum installation.

More interesting for me would be hardware and power requirements. You
probably can use onboard graphics with newer chipsets and also have high
definition. Don't know if FreeBSD already supports to modify the BIOS
Wakeup Timer but that would allow mythtv to shutdown and automatically
restart the machine only when it is needed. So that could save your
machine a lot of idle time. And if you just can't get enough you can try
cpu undervolting (sysutils/cpupowerd) and nvclock (sysutils/nvclock) to
underclock your nvidia graphics card.

> Probably, you need something like, multimedia/mythtv
> http://www.freshports.org/multimedia/mythtv
>
> Looks like port in tree broken, but
> there was discussion about port in the list recently
> And some patches was suggested
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/126343

I'm sure he knows pretty well about the status of mythtv on FreeBSD as he
is the one that helped testing all the mythtv ports on a lot of systems.
Thanks for that by the way!

--
Bernhard Fröhlich
http://www.bluelife.at/