A new multimedia/mplayer?

Thomas Zander thomas.e.zander at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 18 01:01:59 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 08:44, bf <bf2006a at yahoo.com> wrote:

> In a recent discussion on the mplayer
> mailing lists, developers said that they were unlikely to release a new
> tarball anytime soon ( but if you know differently, please let us know), and
> that they recommended that everyone who was able to should use a more recent
> svn snapshot.  Can we therefore switch multimedia/mplayer to a recent svn
> snapshot, to take advantage of the many bugfixes and improvements in svn?

I am quite reluctant to have snapshot-only-versions in the ports tree,
but of course I do see your point. It would be really desirable to
have some kind of release engineering at the mplayer development
front. But if there is no intent on their side to ever do that, we
might need to switch to a semi-predictable/regular cycle of update our
ports tree to snapshots to make features (and more importantly
security fixes) accessible to the users.
However, I would appreciate some comments from the list subscribers
regarding this issue.

Should we
1) use svn snapshots of mplayer and update them every n weeks/months ?
2) stick with 1.0rc2 + security patches until rc3 is released,
whenever that may be?
3) ...

Riggs