How do I use AC3 codec instead of PCM like mplayer -ac hwac3

Norikatsu Shigemura nork at FreeBSD.org
Sun Nov 2 11:56:53 PST 2008

Hi mav.

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 20:10:16 +0200
Alexander Motin <mav at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> > 	I think that my snd_hda(4) device supports hardware AC3 codec
> > 	(SEE ALSO: attached dmesg and sysctl messages).  But I couldn't
> > 	mplayer -ac hwac3 dvd:// like following:
> It looks like there is two problems:
> First is yours: your default pcm0/dsp0 device is PCM only, it does not
> supports AC3. Your SPDIF port is pcm1/dsp1. You should specify mplayer
> to use it it you wish to pass AC3 through to the external decoder. Also
> you have AC3 support as part of your video card HDMI port - pcm2/dsp2.

	Thanks for your pointed out.  I tested -ao oss:/dev/dsp1 and
	-ao oss:/dev/dsp2, but not worked.  These are same results, So...

> Second is at vchans: it does not support AC3 pass though when "Soft PCM
> volume" is enabled. You can hack this by commenting respective part of
> the hdac_audio_ctl_ossmixer_init(). Also it was reported that with some
> amount of luck it may work even without it is you set pcm and master
> volume on that channel to 100% and your decoder is able to detect
> unmarked AC3 stream.

	"Soft PCM volume is enabled." is following?
   :
pcm1: Forcing Soft PCM volume
   :
pcm2: Forcing Soft PCM volume
   :

	I read your hdac_audio_ctl_ossmixer_init(), it looks only
	"Forcing" or "Enabling" I can select.  Humm... Do I try to
	disable it?

--
Norikatsu Shigemura <nork at FreeBSD.org>