FreeBSD7/xorg/radeon: Section "Screen" totally ignored

Richard Bown richard.bown at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat May 10 15:35:48 UTC 2008

Hi [...]
 [...]

> You could try loading PC-BSD and seeing what that puts in xorg.conf.
> BUT beware of its loader, it will use the largest partition it can
> find. so don't leave the power connected to the HD that has linux. or
> anything else you want to keep.
> Easiest just to use a spare  2~3 GB HD.

"I made a try using xorgconf utility, to make a xorg.conf "from
scratch", and from within FreeBSD. But still the screen section seems
to be totally ignored - no chance to switch to other resolution, and no
chance to choose the default resolution.

Perhaps someone is aware of any fixes existing for the problem? Googling
around revealed just some more similar complaints - but not any cure.
--
				pozdrawiam / regards

						Zbigniew Baniewski"

One thing you could check on is how many xorg.conf files you have on
the system.
try deleting all the xorg.conf file in /root and /etc/X11
run Xorg -configure which if it behaves produces a file xorg.conf.new
then copy xorg.conf.new to xorg.conf

then start x, if you lucky it might start
section 5.4.2 of the handbook covers it
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/x-config.html

hth
Richard