Problems with V7.0

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Tue May 6 15:10:28 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 13:06 +0100, Richard Bown wrote:
> On Tue, 06 May 2008 12:00:47 +0100
> Tom Evans <tevans.uk at googlemail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Sun, 2008-05-04 at 08:58 +0100, Richard-1 wrote:
> > > HI Rick
> > > Thanks for the info,
> > > I'll put my comments art the end of the mail, Mandriva's back port
> > > of claws-mail doesn't put the original mail in quotes.
> >
> > Which made the context unsalvagable :)
> >
> > AFAICT there are no DVB-T drivers for FreeBSD. Some of the analogue
> > cards/analogue parts of hybrid cards have support. It's keeping
> > my-under-the-tv box running linux unfortunately :/
> >
> > Tom
> Hi Tom
>
> in the mail from Rick Nekus, he mentions
> "
> -For the conexant/Huappage stuff check out the "pvrxxx" FreeBSD port and/or serch the subject threads here.
> I have a Hauppage PVR-350 thats workin great on FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE, although I havent checked in a year or so :)
> "
> But looking at the Hauppauge site , although it has a mpeg2 decoder, its
> used on record & playback.
> We still have analog TV here for the next three years, so I could put
> an analog card back in.
> What I am finding a little surprising is the difference between
> supported devices between FreeBSD and the variety of linux Distros.
> OK the number of users is a lot lower, but maybe something like
> ndiswrapper so that linux drivers could be used , wouldn't be a bad
> idea,
> and probably not too difficult..
> Both DVB-T and DVB-S are going to be important to get going especially
> now so many countries are changing over to it.

You should remember the 'main aim' of FreeBSD is to support services, so
DVB-T, which became important in Linux because of the large number of
desktop users asking/developing such features, would not be such a high
priority in BSD.

Of course, the number one priority in FOSS is 'what do I want to work
on', and if someone with enough desire and skill decides they do want to
work on it, then it will be done.... otherwise it probably won't :)

Tom