Problems with V7.0

Rick Nekus solarux at hotmail.com
Sat May 3 20:20:10 UTC 2008

Hi, I have an 8500GT and it works great in FreeBSD Release 7.0 at 1680x1050, ...

The best refernce to help with configuring FreeBSD (if you're used to Linux like I was/am)
is still the FreeBSD Handbook.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

I've had many nvidia cards, its best to update your FreeBSD ports, and then install and load the nvidia-driver.
#portsnap fetch extract update
#cd /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-driver/ ; make install clean
optionally,
#cd /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-settings/ ; make install clean
#cd /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-xconfig/ ; make install clean
(a nice GUI version of xorgconfig -but you'll have to be root/sudo)

-if you already have xorg, and gnome then run
#xorgconfig
-even though its a CLI, I like to use "xorgconfig".
-re-edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and under the Section "Device" make sure you "nvidia" after Driver, NOT the xorg "nv"
.
ie:
Driver "nvidia"

http://www.nvidia.com/object/freebsd_169.12.html
-has some good tips on fine-tuning your xorg.conf settings, as well as
(http://us.download.nvidia.com/freebsd/169.12/README/chapter-04-section-02.html)
although the basic ones (via the FreeBSD ports and Handbook are more than sufficient.

also, you shouldn't have to edit /etc/rc.conf at all, other than optionally having the linux emulator of your cho
ice loaded ie: in /etc/rc.conf -> linux_enable="YES"

edit ~/.xinitrc and add "exec startkde" (if your using kde)
or exec startgnome, although I'm not sure-I dont use gnome.

and make sure you have the line:
nvidia_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf

anyway, sorry if I'm long-winded here , but its all in the FreeBSD Handbook :)

-For the conexant/Huappage stuff check out the "pvrxxx" FreeBSD port and/or serch the subject threads here.
I have a Hauppage PVR-350 thats workin great on FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE, although I havent checked in a year or so :)

Good luck.

ood luck.