open("/dev/bktr0") failed: No such file or directory

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Fri Jun 20 20:32:12 UTC 2008

On Friday 20 June 2008 03:11:08 Fritz Katz wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Jun 2008, Wilson Thankachan wrote:
> > I recently installed PCBSD in my PC and am trying to configure fxtv. I
> > have a Phillips TV tuner. These are the things that I did.
> >
> > 1) I did a make under /usr/ports/multimedia/fxtv/
> > 2) added the following line in /boot/loader.conf
> >
> > bktr_load="YES"
> >
> > 3) rebooted the PC got the following message in demsg
> > bktr_mem: memory holder loaded
> >
> > 4) when I run fxtv I get the follwing error
> > open("/dev/bktr0") failed: No such file or directory

The driver didnt attach, otherwise you'd have seen a few more 'bktr' lines in
your dmesg.

> [...]
> 	32    1 0xc0e49000 1258c    bktr.ko
> 	33    2 0xc0e5c000 2000     bktr_mem.ko
>
>    2) Is the hardware even being being recognized?
>       Perhaps the PCI tuner card is not seated in the slot,
>         try moving to a different slot.
>       Maybe the card is non-functional?
>       pciconf is a diagnostic utility for the PCI bus:
>
> 	# pciconf -lcv
> 	bktr0 at pci0:1:10:0: class=0x040000 card=0x13eb0070 chip=0x036e109e rev=0x11
> hdr=0x00 vendor     = 'Conexant (Was: Brooktree Corp)'
> 	  device     = 'Bt878/Fusion 878A Mediastream Controller'
> 	  class      = multimedia
> 	  subclass   = video
> 	  cap 03[44] = VPD
> 	  cap 01[4c] = powerspec 2  supports D0 D3  current D0
> 	none3 at pci0:1:10:1: class=0x048000 card=0x13eb0070 chip=0x0878109e rev=0x11
> hdr=0x00 vendor     = 'Conexant (Was: Brooktree Corp)'
> 	  device     = '7610144D&REV_02\4&1F7DBC9F&0&09F0 TV Video Capture'
> 	  class      = multimedia
> 	  cap 03[44] = VPD
> 	  cap 01[4c] = powerspec 2  supports D0 D3  current D0
>
>     3) add this port:
> 	 /usr/ports/multimedia/kbtv2
>       'make config' and select
> 	 CORE, GUI, and for your TV card i.e. SAA, SAA_KMOD
>       Then do a:
> 	# btsetup
> 	btsetup> help
> 	  help                              - Show this help text
> 	  show [cards|tuners|cameras|users] - Show config or list
> cards/tuners/cams/users adduser <username|uid>            - Add user to
> operator group by login or UID kldload <bktr|saa|pwc|snd>        - Load the
> bktr/saa/pwc/snd_driver module sysctl <card|tuner> value         - Set the
> sysctl for bktr card/tuner to value commit                            -
> Commit/write the config
> 	  quit                              - Quit btsetup
> 	btsetup> kldload saa
> 	btsetup> commit
> 	btsetup> quit
>
>       btsetup does a  '# kldload saa.ko' as well as modifying
>       the boot/loader.conf I think you may have to reboot.
>
> Try running kbtv2. I think the interface is much nicer than fxtv.
>
> I was able to get the S-Video-in and audio-in working on my SAA card.
> But could only tune TV channels audio -- video was just a blue-screen
>   (I suspect I need to set some 'sysctl' for the card but I'm
>    clueless about where to go next with it).
>
> If you want to watch TV on your FreeBSD system, you can still
> find some old BT8x8 cards listed on eBay or Craigslist. If you
> find one, snatch it up -- Brooktree stopped making them years
> ago. Of course, you will only be able to watch TV for eight
> months more using BT8x8 cards -- analog broadcasting will
> stop Feb. 2009 in the US.  FreeBSD really must support
> newer TV-tuners as well as USB-Tuners.
>
> The Video for Linux-2 project (V4L2) seems better at supporting
> newer tuners, including digital ATSC/DVB-T standards:
>    http://www.exploits.org/v4l
> Anyone want to work with me on a 'V4B' project?

btsetup is a tool from kbtv1, the sort-of equivalent for kbtv2 is kbtv2-setup.
It has an even more braindead UI, just sets up any supported device found
(well, I hope so..). btsetup had an option to set sysctls for bktr, this
functionality has been dropped from kbtv2-setup (so do it manually if needed)

Dan

PS to Fritz: for your problem with bktr tuning try sysctl with another tuner
type (see bktr(4). The introduction of the microtune code into bktr a few
years ago seems to have made some of the old hauppauge wintv cards
problematic. Also, some cards (eg leadtek and maybe also some hauppauge wintv
cards from that era) may have an unsupported tuner.