Webcam recommendations?

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at iet.unipi.it
Mon Jul 28 06:37:27 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 09:56:32PM -0500, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> I'm in the market for a webcam, and could use some suggestions as to
> which ones are known to work with FreeBSD.  Preferably not too
> expensive.  :-)

The linux-gspca-kmod driver supports a large numbers of cameras so
if you pick some of the inexpensive models from Creative or Trust
chanches are that they are supported.  Avoid those stating "1mpixel"
or more because they are likely not to work with the driver - often
they require  USB2 isochronous support which is not available in
FreeBSD.

I had reasonable experience with the 'creative notebook'

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?product=629

using the linux-gspca-kmod port. This camera goes to 640x480
natively on usb1.

cheers
luigi