Mixer default values not restored

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.org
Thu Jan 3 11:00:56 PST 2008

"Jouke Witteveen" wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm running FreeBSD 7.0 RC1 with the following in my kernel configuration:
> ---
> device          sound
> device          snd_emu10kx
> ---
> My soundcard is a Soundblaster Live!
>
> In trying to make the rear-channel volume default to "100" I added the
> following to my /boot/device.hints:
> ---
> hint.pcm.1.vol="100"
> hint.pcm.1.pcm="100"
> ---
> This method is suggested on page 164 (section 7.2.4) of the Handbook.
>
> The problem is that these mixer levels do not apply:
> ---
> $ mixer -f /dev/mixer1
> Mixer vol      is currently set to  75:75
> Mixer pcm      is currently set to  75:75
> ---
> There is no problem however in manualy settig these values.
>
> Any help is welcome. My machine can - may it be needed - be used as a testbase.

( freebsd-stable at freebsd.org dropped as I won't cross post )
I didn't notice any replies, so I'll speculate

  I guess whatever is set in loader.conf (& acquired by loader & passed
  to kernel may get over ridden by defaults in kernel itself.

man  sysctl.conf says you can over ride by  /etc/sysctl.conf

--
Julian Stacey. Munich Computer Consultant, BSD Unix C Linux. http://berklix.com
	Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz. Dump cigs 4 snuff.