Reccoding video for security application

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Mon Feb 18 05:03:35 PST 2008

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:19:15 +0700 (ICT)
Olivier Nicole <on at cs.ait.ac.th> wrote:

> Hi,

> > > Mencode has so many options, I don't know how to run it.
> >
> > 	Most of them have to do with specifying the output format and
> > encodings (it does support rather a lot of them).
> >
> > 	Start with something like this
> >
> > 	mencoder tv:// -tv driver=bsdbt848:norm=PAL:input=0 -ovc lavc
> > -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=2400 -oac 'mp3lame' -lameopts br=128
> > out.avi
>
> I make it work with:
>
> mencoder tv:// -tv driver=bsdbt848:noaudio:norm=NTSC:input=1 -nosound
> -o toto.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=400
>
> Thanks.
>
> Now next question, is there a way to have the date and time added to
> the image?

	Tricky - you can probably do something with the bmovl (bitmap
overlay) filter (-vf bmovl) but it looks to be complicated to use[1]. It is
of course easy enough to put a timestamp in the filename.

	There's always the low tech approach - put a calendar clock in the
field of view of the camera.

[1] Cue for someone who has used this thing to step forward and explain
it :)