FreeBSD as a HTPC!

martinko gamato at users.sf.net
Mon Dec 1 14:34:03 PST 2008

eculp wrote:
> Quoting Anders Troback <freebsd at troback.com>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm looking for a HTPC application for FreeBSD!
>>
>> Is there anyone out there that are using FreeBSD as a HTPC? If yes,
>> what are you using to make this happen?
>
> First I assume that we are talking about a Home Theater Personal
> Computer.  I guess most of us use our PC's laptops with FreeBSD to
> listen to music and watch DVD's etc.  My first would have to be what
> does/would constitute a real HTPC?  Are there any minimal guidelines?
>
> I apologize for my ignorance,
>
> ed

Well, one of the issues I can see is that HTPC is supposed to get
connected to a big LCD (either monitor or maybe even better TV) and be a
source of HDTV signal.  But FreeBSD and X.org have issues with modern
video acceleration and also OpenGL (for other tasks) on modern video
cards. :-/

Another issue is digital sound output using S/PDIF. :(

M.