problem with Intel 82801H - only through headphone

Carlos A. M. dos Santos unixmania at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 02:01:44 UTC 2008

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 8:08 PM, Angel Arancibia
<angel.arancibia at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I'm having some trouble with "Intel 82801H High Definition Audio
> Controller". it is recognized by the kernel (amd64)
>
> $>dmesg | grep pcm
> pcm0: <Intel 82801H High Definition Audio Controller> mem
> 0xfe9fc000-0xfe9fffff irq 21 at device 27.0 on pci0
> pcm0: [ITHREAD]
> pcm0: <HDA Codec: Sigmatel (Unknown)>
> pcm0: <HDA Driver Revision: 20071129_0050>
>

> but for some reason I only have sound through the headphones. I
> suspected about the volume, but it seems to be ok.
>
> $>mixer
> Mixer vol      is currently set to  81:81
> Mixer pcm      is currently set to  66:66
> Mixer speaker  is currently set to  53:53
> Mixer line     is currently set to  75:75
> Mixer rec      is currently set to   0:0
> Recording source: mic
>
> any idea?

Questions:

1. What are your computer/motherboard brand and model?

2. What is your os version (run "uname -r")?

2. What does "pciconf -lv" says about your audio device? I once fixed
the driver because on my PC the output was going to the speaker, not
to "line out". You may have a similar problem.

Instructions:

1. Boot with either the GENERIC kernel or a custom kernel without any
sound driver.

2. Set the sound debugging messages knob:

     sysctl hw.snd.verbose=4

3. Load the driver:

     kldload snd_hda

4. Get the driver debugging messages:

     sed -n 's/.* pcm0: //p' /var/log/messages > hda_log.txt

Send a message to this list with the contents of hda_log.txt.

--
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only
because you lack sufficient imagination.