audio card advice - juli@ or Prodigy hd2

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Wed Apr 2 22:53:35 UTC 2008

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 14:02:12 +0100
Dieter <freebsd at sopwith.solgatos.com> wrote:

> > Cable run is only 10' but do still get some low level hum on
> > unbalanced inputs from using the onboard sound
>
> Ground loop?

I think often the case with onboard sound.  Cables are shielded and the
monitors plugged into different outlets, wh/is about the best I can do
in that regard w/o going crazy. The Alp5's are 80W active monitors -
very low end as far as studio monitors go (fit my budget at under
$300/pr.) but still pretty "high-end" compared to more common branded PC
speakers so I don't think the issue is there. Anyhow, when I've got the
volume cranked you pick up on the hum in between tunes but I suspect any
halfway decent PCI card will remedy. OTOH maybe cables are picking up
something from USB, monitor, etc., cables in wh/case the balanced
outputs on the Juli@ would be nice to have.

> > Cans are currently some Senns,
>
> "Cans" ?

Slang for headphones.