Skype-1.4 on 6.2 (and 7.0-BETA1)

Beech Rintoul beech at freebsd.org
Wed Oct 31 14:44:12 PDT 2007

On Wednesday 31 October 2007, Adi Pircalabu said:
> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 00:02:39 -0800 Beech Rintoul wrote:
> > On Tuesday 30 October 2007, Luigi Rizzo said:

> [...]
>
> > I did test this on 6-stable and didn't find any problems.
> > However, skype is known not to play nicely with some sound cards.
>
> Hi Beach,
> you can find the output of "cat /dev/sndstat" for PR 117714 here:
> http://pircalabu.com/dev.sndstat.latitude.d520.txt
> Anything I can help with?

Your soundcard output looks ok. According to Skype this is supposed to
be backwards compatible, but I'm starting to think not. Skype isn't
noted for being very supportive outside the windows/linux world and
the answer I got was "just upgrade to the latest linux distro" There
are a couple of directions you can go. 1) Revert back to skype12
until I get this all sorted out. The skype 12 port can be found here:

http://people.freebsd.org/~beech/source/skype12.tar.gz

Just replace your net/skype with that and either portdowngrade or
build/install by hand. 2) you could try updating your linux_base to
fc6 and see if that solves the problem. I don't want to force 6.x
users to update to fc6 or mark this broken until I find out for sure
what the problem is.

As I said earlier I am going to put skype12 back in the tree after the
freeze.

Beech Rintoul - FreeBSD Developer - beech at FreeBSD.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail   | http://www.freebsd.org
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Latest Release:
/ \  - http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/6.2R/announce.html