Skype-1.4 on 6.2 (and 7.0-BETA1)

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Wed Oct 31 12:08:36 PDT 2007

on 31/10/2007 12:36 Stefan Lambrev said the following:
> Hi Jan,
>
> Jan Henrik Sylvester wrote:
>> Before, I had skype-1.2.0.18_4 on 6.2, which worked.
>>
>> Today, I portupgraded to skype-1.4.0.118.
>>
>> Now I only get: "Call Failed. Problem with Audio Playback".
>>
>> I killed artsd and increased hw.snd.maxautovchans and autovchans, but
>> nothing helped.
>>
>> Is the new version of Skype supposed to work on 6.2-RELEASE?
>>
>> For comparison, I rebooted into my test install of 7.0-BETA1 and
>> installed skype-1.4.0.118 there. Starting skype gave me:
>>
>> skype: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/librt.so.1: ELF
>> file OS ABI invalid
>>
>> I solved that problem with a solution from emulation (about matlab):
>>
>> compat.linux.osrelease: 2.4.2 -> 2.4.20
>>
>> Is this expected? (I guess this question should go on emulation.)
>>
>> Anyhow, sound works on 7.0-BETA1.
> 20071030:
>   AFFECTS: users of net/skype
>   AUTHOR: beech at FreeBSD.org
>
>   The skype port has been upgraded to version 1.4.0.118. This requires a
> sysctl
>   change to run. After upgrading, please do: "sysctl
> compat.linux.osrelease=2.6"
>   from a terminal. Also add: "compat.linux.osrelease=2.6" to your
>   /etc/sysctl.conf  to make this change at boot time. Also,
> net/skype-devel has
>   been removed from the ports tree. All skype users are encouraged to
> update to
>   the latest version.
>
> I personally jumped for linux_base-f7 and linuxolator 2.6, I have
> installed and linux_dri
> and new skype seems to work perfect.

BTW, is linux_base-f7 a requirement too ?
Because on FreeBSD 6.2 fc4 is the default now and skype 1.4.X (from the
port, of course) doesn't work for me, either with the default or with
2.6 value of compat.linux.osrelease. With 2.4.2 I get the same problem
as Jan: "Call Failed. Problem with Audio Playback" for any attempt to call.
With 2.6 skype simply didn't start with a message like "Can not setup
LDT for thread something...".

BTW, there is a different question that I have and maybe another part to
my situation. My system is actually FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p6 amd64,
emphasis on amd64. So now you see what can add to my skype problems.
And here's the question: our linuxolator emulates i386 Linux even on
amd64, is there any reason that skype port has only i386 in the allowed
archs ? The same question goes for any ports it depends on and that have
the same restriction (if any). WITH_NVIDIA_GL is of course not
applicable to amd64, bit otherwise, in my understanding, everything
should. Am I missing something important ?

--
Andriy Gapon