Skype problem with usb headset (dsp4)

Predrag Punosevac punosevac at math.arizona.edu
Sat Oct 27 19:11:17 PDT 2007

Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I would like to know if anyone has had any success using Skype with
> a usb headset (/dev/dsp4).
>
>   I have set Skype to use /dev/dsp4 but it does not work correctly.
> When I try to use the "Skype Test Call", I can hear the phone ringing.
> However, I can't hear a thing once the other side answers the phone.
> It is all silent although Skype says the call is working.
>
>   The headset seems to be correct since I can hear music when I try it
> with mplayer
>
> $ mplayer -ao oss:/dev/dsp4 some.mp3
>
>   Any ideas?
>
> $ uname -a
> FreeBSD exxodus.fedaykin.here 7.0-BETA1 FreeBSD 7.0-BETA1 #15: Sat Oct
> 20 13:08:30 BRST 2007     lioux at exxodus:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/LIOUX  i386
>
> $ cat /dev/sndstat
> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm: 32bit 2007061600/i386)
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <EMU10Kx DSP front PCM interface> on emu10kx0 [MPSAFE]
> (4p:1v/1r:1v channels duplex default)
> pcm1: <EMU10Kx DSP rear PCM interface> on emu10kx0 [MPSAFE]
> (1p:1v/0r:0v channels)
> pcm2: <EMU10Kx DSP center PCM interface> on emu10kx0 [MPSAFE]
> (1p:1v/0r:0v channels)
> pcm3: <EMU10Kx DSP subwoofer PCM interface> on emu10kx0 [MPSAFE]
> (1p:1v/0r:0v channels)
> pcm4: <USB Audio> at ? kld snd_uaudio [GIANT] (1p:2v/1r:2v channels
> duplex)
>         mode 1:(output) 2ch, 16/16bit, pcm, 48000,44100Hz
>         mode 1:(input) 1ch, 16/16bit, pcm, 48000,44100Hz
>
> $ mixer -f /dev/dsp4
> Mixer vol      is currently set to  75:75
> Mixer pcm      is currently set to  75:75
> Mixer speaker  is currently set to  75:75
> Mixer mic      is currently set to  75:75
> Recording source: mic
That is very strange behavior. I went trough lots of trouble with skype
due to the fact that OSS (the one from ports) had a problem
with the duplex mode for my audio card. After portupgrade my troubles
went a  way but could hear the sound all the way.  I had problem with
recording.

Let me suggest very dumb idea. Check first Skype preferences as I
believe that the preference are by default  /dev/dsp or /dev/dsp1. Try
to change it into /dev/dsp4 or whatever you think is the correct device
node for your head phones.

The second thing. It looks to me that you get the tone (since you can
hear ringing and that it dies out). I think I saw something like that on
one of the mailing lists but I am not competent to talk about it.

In any case I hope you fix the things and get the help from a serious
person.