Plug in headphone doesn't mute speaker

Frederic Chardon chardon.frederic at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 04:54:09 PDT 2007

Hello all,

Sorry for the maybe dumb question but I use FreeBSD for just 2 weeks...

I have a HP nx6110 laptop running release 6.2 p7. I use snd_ich module (not
compiled in kernel). Everything works great except for the output of sound:
whenever I plug in headphone or external speaker the internal speaker
continue functionning. A solution seems to exist for snd_hda:
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-multimedia/2007-January/005687.html
but I'm not familiar with all this patching process and I don't know if I
can use it without breaking everything. I am far from being able to adapt it
to my case if necessary.

Also someone with the same problem but a different laptop says that this
problem is solved in 7-current here:
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-multimedia/2007-January/005668.html

Does anybody know how to solve this problem ? I'd like to avoid upgrading to
7 for now if possible, even if it is not current anymore I am not sure to be
able to play with this one yet...

Best regards

Fred