sound documentation for the snd_hda (Nvidia)

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Sun Nov 25 12:00:49 PST 2007

Howard Goldstein wrote:
> Chuck Robey wrote:
>>> I have a Asus motherboard, a Striker Extreme, which has a Nvidia
>>> chipset, and the Analog Devices 1988b IC.  What I'm getting at is, I'm
>>> not getting all that I could be getting out of it, and I want to know
>>> more about the hardware and software that I'm using.  I was wondering
>>> if the folks who originally write the snd_hda driver, that's only for
>>> the Nvidia & Analog Devices hardware?  What documentation did they
>>> work with to write that driver?
>
> snd_ad1816 works fine on my striker extreme.  Note that I'm definitely
> not an audio connoisseur.

Well, I guess I could do that, but from what I can find, the snd_ad1816
driver is for the Analog Devices AD1816, which is an obsolete sound
controller that ran the AC97 audio.  The stuff in the Striker Extreme
has compatibility with the older AC97 stuff, but only at the cost of any
of the hda improvements.  I would only do that if there was no onter
course.  I went to the Intel developers site, and picked up a couple of
good (if large) pdf's describing the HDA PCI register architecture.  I
went to the Analog Devices site, and they had a fiar pdf, describing the
layout of the AD1988b device, which is a lot of the implementation of
that HDA architecture.  I can't tell  if it's all the implementation,
yet, because I haven't been able to locate anything on the Nvidia 680
chipset, and that might implement some of the sound also.  BUT, the fact
that I can't find anything from Nvidia about what they designed for
sound might mean that their entire implementation is the AD1988b device.

Do you know more?

Where do the developers of the HDA code hang out, on this list?  Is the
snd_hda the current hda driver, and if so, where's the new code going to be?

God, maybe I better let my questions lie quiet a bit.  I get too many,
and you'll never answer any of them.