sound documentation for the snd_hda (Nvidia)

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Sun Nov 25 11:51:09 PST 2007

Rick Nekus wrote:
> Hi,
> I had an Asus P5B-Deluxe (Intel Quad-core,... AD1988b onboard audio)
> -it has the same audio chipset as yours
> yes, they are different boards, but (at that time) I had to use the OSS
> drivers from:
> http://www.4front-tech.com/freebsd.html (read the install howto)
>  and it worked great for me.
> (but all I wanted was good quality stereo ;)
> -of course, this depends on "exactly" what you want out of it ? and if
> you're already aware of this,... ah well.

First, top-posting is discourteous, I think.  Probably shouldn't do it.

Secondly, I run FreeBSD-current ... and those OSS drivers say they're
for FreeBSD-6.  Will they work?

Well, regardless, I was looking at the code  in hdac.c (part of the
snd_hda driver) and comments refer to t he fact that the driver is not
in it's final form, that it's virtually guaranteed to change to a more
structured buss system.  Is the code for the intended final
implementation entered yet into cvs?  Not in final form, I know, that's
obvious, it's not yet that far along, but if anything at all has been
done, I would very much like to see what is meant by the comments I
found.  I might like to contribute, if I can wrap my noggin around it

Or should I have asked on the FreeBSD-current list?.