sound documentation for the snd_hda (Nvidia)

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Fri Nov 23 15:12:39 PST 2007

I have a Asus motherboard, a Striker Extreme, which has a Nvidia
chipset, and the Analog Devices 1988b IC.  What I'm getting at is, I'm
not getting all that I could be getting out of it, and I want to know
more about the hardware and software that I'm using.  I was wondering if
the folks who originally write the snd_hda driver, that's only for the
Nvidia & Analog Devices hardware?  What documentation did they work with
to write that driver?

Nvidia sells *something* (and I know precious little about that
*something*) that's supposed to improve the sound system.  I don't want
to pay Asus for it until I know whether or not it's needed for the
FreeBSD driver, or if having it could help me in any way whatsoever.  If
it would help, Id buy it, but until I know that, I really hate feeling
like a prize chump, paying them for Windows software that I'd never make
use of (I never run any M$ software).

More than just that, I want & need whatever docs were used to form the
snd_hda driver.  I'd really, really appreciate any info on that you have.

Thanks.