skype 1.4.0.118 need root privilege

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Tue Nov 20 19:36:20 PST 2007

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 23:20:32 +0200
Andrey Angelov <mortallink at mail.ru> wrote:

> Hello I use freebsd 6.2 few days before I portupgraded skype up to
> 1.4.0.118 it working fine but the problem is when I run it as non-root
> user I got "problem with audio playback" when I run it as root all
> working fine up to portupgrade I worked with 1.2.x and there was not
> any problems. I checked all permissions and all look fine. So what is
> the problem bug in skype or what ? I have no idea.

Hi Andrey,
i can't test this on 6.2, but 1.4 was working ok as user on 7.0. are you positive you can write to the pcm devices?

long shot, did u configure skype to try to use a port other than 80 for incoming traffic (anything < 1024 will need root privs).?

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"The freethinking of one age is the common sense of the next."
   Matthew Arnold