howto flash me?

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Mon Nov 19 12:27:51 PST 2007

Thomas Donnelly wrote:
> Chuck Robey wrote:
>> OK, I'm convinced now that we have no acceptable solution to get a
>> current flash player working under FreeBSD.  I have here in the same
>> room with me a Gentoo box, and I see from their package system that
>> there are at least two different paths for getting flash working.
>> One's the Adobe Flash player.  Anyone knkow why that won't work under
>> FreeBSD on Linux browser?
>>
>> Second option is either a gpl flash library called GPL flash (not a
>> long stretch for naming, is it?)  There are even some tracks to go to
>> get some Adobe soource code.
>>
>> All I want here is hints, if anyone knows that one particular path
>> might be easier for porting than another, or possibly more compatible,
>> or for any reason a better platform for me to take on as a project,
>> I'd really appreciate a hint, because while I can port stuff ok, I've
>> never been all that plugged into the world of web applications, and I
>> probably don't know many things about web apps that you probably
>> consider as obvious.  So, I'll take on the porting job if you can just
>> dredge up any hints you have heard, cause i don't want to waste time
>> on running up blind alleys.
>>
>> Thanks.  I'll begin porting tomorrow, you have that long.
> Couple of ways to do it
> http://desktopbsd.net/wiki/doku.php?id=doc:browserplugins
> If you want to use a linux browser
>
> http://freebsd.kde.org/howtos/konqueror-flash.php
> If you want to use KDE and linux plugin wrapper.
>
> I find that the best way is to install wine-doors
> (/usr/ports/emulators/wine-doors) and run Firefox 2.0 and install flash
> in that. I can play bloons tower defense 2 semi-comfortably in it,
> granted the machine has a moderate amount of power.
>
> According to Adobe, FreeBSD isn't "cool" enough (actually just not
> enough requests, which if you look at the forums is quite a lie) So we
> are forced to use a linux hack.

Yeah, but they distribute sources, so it's portable.  I thought to give
it a try, if there isn't a better FreeBSD method.  I understood that
installing a Linux mozilla/filefox will only get you the older Flash7,
not the newer flash9.  I suppose the wine-doors would work, but I have a
real allergy to running MS software, and that's the stuff, at least,
it's meant to run under Windows, right?  I would avoid that.