cdrom instabilities

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Thu Nov 15 10:32:46 PST 2007

My new system, running FreeBSD-current, seems to be very unstable with
regards to my SONY CD-RW CRX320E/NYK2 drive.  One example is, I can't
seem to use the KDE cdrom burning utility, k3b, to use the drive at all,
because it won't recognize it.  I needed to burn some ISO images, so I
finally used burncd, but even though burncd did burn the images of
FreeBSD (amd64) that I needed, once the images were finished, I couldn't
eject the drives (neither manually, nor using burncd).  Burncd would,
when asked to eject the drive, respond that the drive was busy, and I
finally had to reboot the machine in order to get my disks out.  Funny,
though it seemed that probably the burning wasn't finished, the disks
were usable, and did in fact boot on the target machine just fine.

Also, when I try to use the drive for music, using kscd (the only music
player that seems to work for me), the drive stops listening to commands
on an intermittent basis.

Is there any problem with IDE cdroms that is commonly a cause of such
problems?  Any suggestions you make, I'll try to investigate, so please
go ahead and give me your guesses.  I can't keep on rebooting my machine
just to get my cdroms out.

Thanks.