snd_hda extremely choppy on 7-beta2

Miguel Lopes Santos Ramos miguel at anjos.strangled.net
Wed Nov 14 02:21:21 PST 2007

> From: Thomas Donnelly <Tad1214 at aol.com>
>
> Thomas Donnelly wrote:
> >> I recently installed 7.0 and cvsupd to 7.0-beta2 right away.
> >> I have snd_hda set to load in via /boot/loader.conf
> >> Whenever ANY sound plays, be it KDE sounds, noatun, amarok, etc. it
> >> is VERY choppy, not start and stop, but skipping chunks. (IE song
> >> would be ABCDEFGHIJ, plays ABEGJ)
> >> Something misconfigured? I tried setting buffer to maximum and
> >> realtime priority via control center in kde.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >> -=Tom Donnelly
> > Scratch amarok, seems to work fine in amarok.... System sounds and
> > Amarok are still hosed.
>
> Wow, sorry for spamming the list... I meant to say System sounds and
> Noatun are still hosed.
> Also, noatun seems to be aware of the skipping as the time stays up with
> the song (skipping seconds at a time).

Did you try using the ULE scheduler?

I had extremely choppy sound, choppy mouse and an unusable system (dual core)
if I compiled anything, but then I changed to the ULE scheduler and everything
got better than it ever was in RELENG_6, particularly sound and DVD playback,
both on dual and single cores.
It looks like FreeBSD is finally also a good real-time multimedia platform.

Miguel