skype 1.4.0.118 need root privilege

Predrag Punosevac punosevac at math.arizona.edu
Mon Nov 12 00:14:20 PST 2007

Andrey Angelov wrote:
> Hello I use freebsd 6.2 few days before I portupgraded skype up to
> 1.4.0.118 it working fine but the problem is when I run it as non-root
> user I got "problem with audio playback" when I run it as root all
> working fine up to portupgrade I worked with 1.2.x and there was not
> any problems. I checked all permissions and all look fine. So what is
> the problem bug in skype or what ? I have no idea.

There was a thread a week ago about the problems with Skype. If I
remember well they were related to the fact that
Skype 1.4 requires linux kernel 2.6 which is still not officially
supported by FreeBSD linux compatibility layer.
The output "problem with audio playback" was related to that issue if I
remember.

I think the easiest solution is to downgrade the port and use 1.2 for
now but there was a way to get 1.4 working properly.
Now I am not sure if you are running AMD version of I-386. I run I-386
and the above information might not be all you need to get Skype working
on AMD version. Again I think I saw people talking about issues on AMD
but I disregard those messages.

Poka
Predrag