Seeking DVD to Real Media conversion solution...

William Bulley web at umich.edu
Wed Nov 7 07:58:24 PST 2007

According to Rafa??l Carr?? <funman at videolan.org>:

> Your 1.1GB VOB is compressed with MPEG-2 , so not suitable for Real
> Producer if it needs Uncompressed AVI.

I was afraid of this, sigh...  :-(

> When using uncompressed AVI (several Mega Bytes per second) you need to
> specify a color space (i.e. how the raw data is "coded" (=represented)
> Basically the rate per second is:
>
> frame_rate * height * width * bits_used_to_represent_the_color/8
>
> Let's say 25 * 640 * 480 * 16bits/8 = 15360000 = ~14 Mega bytes per s
>
> This is very different from video codecs which are designed to
> dramatically reduce that high bitrate.
>
> If you have to provide Real Producer a uncompressed video file < 2GB,
> you will be able to encode maybe 2 or 3 minutes, so you should forget
> about using that crappy software :)

Okay, I am convinced now what I am attempting is not possible.  Thanks.

> read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YUV for some infos on color spaces,
> which are way to reduce (a little) this high bitrate, by compressing
> only the color representation.

I just stumbled across http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YUV after "ruin evil's"
email listing all those *Y* variants.  Thanks.

> I don't know anything about rm and real codecs, but I would suppose
> that it can only contain real?? codecs, you should try to put rv10 or
> rv20 "video codec" into rm "container" or "muxer".

I did that, too.  And had the same results.  I think your first point
above is the key issue here.

> The file extension represent how the internal data is combined (i.e.
> how to combine audio and video (and text, and metadata etc etc..).
> Like .AVI = avi
> .MOV = mov
> .MKV = matroska
> .OGM/.OGG = ogg (ogm correspond to ogg movie and ogg to ogg audio but
> that's exactly the same thing)
> .RM = ream media
> .MPG = mpeg
> .MP4 = mpeg-4
> .VOB = mpeg-2
> etc etc...

Yep, I found that out in my struggles with this.

> Now inside those you have to put some info (say, video) in the format
> you want (well, one of those which are supported by this container):
>
> RAW (but there is several way to represent raw data)
> compressed with a video codec (h264, wmv, mpeg2, etc etc...)
>
> And the container will have a reserved space to indicate which codec
> was used to store the data.

Okay.

> Now, if Real Producer doesn't come with a documentation telling what it
> does accept you're fucked and you'd better wipe out this piece of shit
> and use ffmpeg.

Roger.  Wilco.  Over and out!   ;^)

> Now if you need a recent real codec like RV40, you're out of luck
> because the only open source implementation is the decoder, and it
> hasn't even been checked in ffmpeg yet.

Doesn't apply to this transcoding exercise.  I will have to do without
Real Media since my source (over which I have zero control) is in an
already compressed format.

> Seriously you should consider something else than Real and evaluate
> your other possibilities.

Thanks again, really apprecicate the input.  This Real Media was an
adjunct, second format.  I long ago converted the *.VOB file into an
*.AVI container suitable for replay with mplayer, vlc, etc.  That was
a relative snap compared to all the permutations I have been through
with the Real Producer (basic).  I will have to be content with just
the one representation of the 20 minute DVD instead of the two that
were the desired outcome.  Thanks for your and "ruin evil's" help.

Regards,

web...

William Bulley                     Email: web at umich.edu