Seeking DVD to Real Media conversion solution...

William Bulley web at umich.edu
Mon Nov 5 12:52:57 PST 2007

I have an open DVD with about 22 minutes of video/audio
which I plan to stick on our WWW site.  I have grabbed
the content into a *.VOB file using vobcopy.  From this
file I have created an *.AVI file that is playable with
mplayer for the Windows visitors to the WWW site.  Now,
I want to convert this content into a Real Media (*.RM)
file (for the Mac users?), but I have been unsuccessful.

There is a Real Producer (basic) application from Real
Networks for Linux that is "unsupported" and that installs
itself and runs under Lunix emulation[sic] on FreBSD, but
it fails to convert the video content.  So far I have been
successful converting only the audio portion.  When I asked
Real Networks support, they told me I needed to use a video
codec for the video part of the file given to their Real
Producer (basic) application, BUT they would NOT tell me
what video codecs were acceptable as input to that program!

I have read everything I can find, including the documentation
that comes with the Real Producer (basic) application, but all
this says is, for Linux, only *.AVI, *.MOV and *.WAV files are
valid input.  I have tried ffmpeg, vlc, transcode, avidemux2
until I am blue in the face.  Is there anyway to accomplish
what I want?  Can anyone provide a pointer to a HOW-TO, or to
a FAQ for video conversion going from DVD (or *.VOB or *.AVI) to
Real Media (*.RM) file format playable by realplay on FreeBSD?
If realplay can recognize and play it, then WWW users should
also be able to view/listen to it.

Everything that Google has turned up on this topic is either
worthless for my purposes or pertains to going the other way:
going from Real Media to DVD creation, sigh...  Thanks in advance.

Regards,

web...

William Bulley                     Email: web at umich.edu