maintained compat.linux.osrelease versions (was: Re: Skype's 2nd process hogging CPU...)

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Fri Nov 2 05:20:55 PDT 2007

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 09:21:53 +0300
Boris Samorodov <bsam at ipt.ru> wrote:

> > It's happened with compat.linux.osrelease both set to 2.6 and 2.4.20.
>
> Not an answer to the question, but... There are two
> compat.linux.osrelease values that are maintained by linux
> kernel team for now. They are 2.4.2 (the default one) and
> 2.6.16 (is going to be a default for HEAD and RELENG_7 in
> the future).
>
> Other values are not _tested_/maintained/supported by the
> linux emulation team.
>
> Though that doesn't mean *someone* can't maintain/support
> those values. ;-)

Of course, good point. I was just following ports/UPDATING in this regards.

BTW, I've had this happen again while simply going for a cup of tea -
definitely under 5 minutes. i got it at the start of the cpu spike - i could
see in the gkrellm2 cpu graph precisely where it jumped up. CPU was 159% on
this extra process.

I've had several lockups on the machine ... I havent been able to pin it down
to skype.. BUT

I've since rolled back to my skype 1.2 package, and I've been running with no
lockups for 7 hours with no lockup (compared that to 4 lockups in the same time
with skype 1.4. Again, it could be a number  of things, i'm still trying to
narrow it down...)

Cheers,

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"Tell a person you're the Metatron and they stare at you blankly.
 Mention something out of a Charleton Heston movie and suddenly everyone's a
Theology scholar!" Dogma

Warned.