streaming guru needed

Stefan Ehmann shoesoft at gmx.net
Wed May 9 23:07:43 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 09 May 2007 22:55:05 Julian Elischer wrote:
> Stefan Ehmann wrote:

> >> Ahh that may be the trick.
> >>
> >> I'm broadcasting all of today from my office and home (but not when I'm
> >> commuting :-) so let me know if you see anything.. (URL above)
> >
> > Video and sound work both in mplayer and vlc. Quality was better than
> > expected for that bitrate. I was waving to you but you didn't notice me
> > :)
>
> could you give build-options and setting that you used to watch ?
>
> For those of us who don't usually dabble in this area it would
> be nice to know these secrets!

Ok, I'll give it a try. Haven't tested everything, so there might be some
errors.

If you want to use mplayer:

- cd /usr/ports/multimedia/mplayer && make install clean
  OR portinstall multimedia/mplayer
- make sure livemedia is selected: [X] LIVEMEDIA
- mplayer -rtsp-stream-over-tcp  rtsp://jello.ironport.com:80/Bsdtest.sdp

If you already installed mplayer, but get the following error:
"RTSP support requires the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" libraries."

- cd /usr/ports/multimedia/mplayer
- make config
- make sure livemedia is selected: [X] LIVEMEDIA
- make deinstall reinstall clean
  OR portupgrade -f multimedia/mplayer

If you want to use vlc:

- cd /usr/ports/multimedia/vlc
- make install clean
  OR portinstall multimedia/vlc
- make sure faad is selected: [X] FAAD
- start vlc
- Settings->Preferences
  -> check "Advanced options"
  -> go to Input/Codecs->Demuxers->RTP/RTSP and check "Use RTP over RTSP
(TCP)"
  -> Save
- File->Open Network Stream, check "RTSP", URL:
  rtsp://jello.ironport.com:80/Bsdtest.sdp
  OR $vlc rtsp://jello.ironport.com:80/Bsdtest.sdp

If you already installed vlc, but get no sound:

- cd /usr/ports/multimedia/vlc
- make config
- make sure faad is selected: [X] FAAD
- make deinstall reinstall clean
  OR portupgrade -f multimedia/vlc

I haven't yet succeeded using xine for the test stream.

Notes:
- I haven't tested if it works if you disable any of the default options
(disabling LIVEMEDA for vlc is probably a bad idea).
- I usually use the -R option for portupgrade to be sure that all dependent
ports are up-to-date as well.