Which TV capture card to buy?

Dieter freebsd at sopwith.solgatos.com
Fri Jun 1 19:21:30 UTC 2007

> > > The driver for the cx2388x appears to work,
> >
> > Cool, so you have NTSC working?  Is the driver available for beta testing?
>
> With all the programming here available over ATSC (and it looks and
> sounds SOOOO much better than NTSC), I haven't even bothered/attempted
> to do NTSC...

Some PBS stations have different programming on NTSC and ATSC, so
we need both.

Some stations compress the ATSC subchannels so much that NTSC
has more resolution/detail.  There are only enough bits for one
HD or 2 SD, but some stations have 1 HD plus 2 or 3 SD, or
no HD and 4-6 SD.  :-(

> > > but the people over at
> > > linux-dvb don't seem to know anyone to help figure out why my ATI HDTV
> > > Wonder doesn't work very well..
> >
> > Is it the ATSC demodulator chip that isn't working?
>
> Yes, and I'm not sure why... I am able to get a trickle of data out
> of the card, and it is valid, in that I get the TVCT table that has
> data, but when I do, I only get about 100kB/sec, definately not the
> 2.5MB/sec I'm suppose to...

Could it be that the ATSC demodulator chip is filtering out some of
the PIDs?

> The Linux driver also has a bug in that they don't consistantly keep
> two registers that control serial or parallel mode for the digital
> video input, and the linux-dvb list completely ignored the report...

Perhaps the Linux driver for a different card with the same chip
would have different bugs?