DVB-C card - TerraTec Cinergy 1200 DVB-C - initial testing

Konstantin Dimitrov kosio.dimitrov at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 13:49:52 PST 2007

On 1/11/07, Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 23:56:00 +0200
> Konstantin Dimitrov <kosio.dimitrov at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > it's SAA7146A-based card and the only FreeBSD driver dealing with
> > SAA7146A, at least that i'm aware of, is for Skystar1 DVB-S card, more
> > info:
> >
> > http://www.gs.ru/info/si/SS1bsd.html
>
> Hmm, I do not read the Russian language at all. Could anyone give me a
> rough translation of the text (related to the files) on that page ?

my Russian is very poor, but here is what i understood:

the driver is port for FreeBSD of LinuxTV.org driver version 0.8.x for
Skystar1 board revision 1.3, it is originally written by Stanislav
Golovin in 2001 and has support only for "Internet via satelitte".

list of the files from http://www.gs.ru/info/si/SS1bsd.html with descriptions :

"FreeBSDnarodru.zip" - archive of the original project site (in Russian)

"skystar1-20021126b.tgz" - source code of the version of the driver
written by Alexander Romanov, that adds support for Skystar1 revision
1.5, it's from 26.11.2002

"fbsd_ss1-0.0.2-2.tar.gz" - source code of the original version of the
driver written by Stanislav Golovin, that supports only Skystar1
revision 1.3, it's from 14.03.2001

"dvbd-20021007.tgz" - DVBD version 0.0.7 from 07.10.2002

"sstest.zip" - test utility that tunes the card to EuropeOnLine
Transponder 103 (EOL TR103), more info about EOL and TR103:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Sat-HOWTO-9.html#ss9.1
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Sat-HOWTO-8.html#ss8.1
and then checks the settings of the card. however it's old and TR103
is not used anymore by EOL.

"skystart.zip" - SkyStar1 Control Utility (Based on sstest.c and and
dccp daemon source code)

"dvbd-20050121.tgz" - DVBD version 1.1b from 21.01.2005, the code for
FreeBSD is based on LinuxTV.org driver version 0.8.2, that doesn't
support spectral inversion, so Serg Gorokhovatsky added support for
spectral inversion in that version of DVBD, more info about spectral
inversion:
http://www.rfcafe.com/references/electrical/spectral_inv.htm

"skystar1-fbsd50-20040312.tar.bz2" - source code of the driver, that
adds support for FreeBSD 5.x, made by Andrei Gritsai (sorry, not sure
about the spelling of the name), it's from 12.03.2004

"skystar1-fbsd50-20040312-compiled.tar.bz2" - binaries of the driver
version above

"ss1_fbsd5_avos.tar.gz" - source code of another version of the
driver, that adds support for FreeBSD 5.x, made by Ruslan Latypov,
according to the author it's very stable, it's from 02.11.2005

ss1fbsd5_3_4.tar.gz - old version, from 10.10.2005, of the driver made
by Ruslan Latypov, that adds support for FreeBSD 5.x,

ss1fbsd6_x.tar.gz - source code of the driver, that add support for
FreeBSD 6.x, made by Ruslan Latypov, it has problem - sometimes gives
core dumped on unload, it's from 27.01.2006

other links from http://www.gs.ru/info/si/SS1bsd.html that still works:

Skystar1 driver for OpenBSD (in English) : http://www.alloyant.com/dvb/

how to setup Skystar1 under FreeBSD (in Russian):

http://nobodyman.plhs.ru/benefits/8/print

http://www.skyvision.net.ua/pages/ss1-freebsd.html

> > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-multimedia/2006-September/004747.html
> >
> > there are two major hardware designs for DVB-T/-C/-S cards based on
> > SAA7146A, the so called "full-featured design" and "budget design".
>
> Yes, I know.

and there is hardware modification known as "budget patch" for cards
with "full-featured design" (Skystar1) to make their operation almost
identical to cards with "budget design":

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB_TT_Budget_Patch