Multichannel Sound output

Matt Stegmeir mattsteg at puresimplicity.net
Mon Feb 26 01:19:38 UTC 2007

I've been playing around with multichannel sound output in FreeBSD
recently and wnated to share a bit of what worked for me, because I
don't see a lot on this list about stuff that works, more about stuff
people are going to try or are working on.  I'm using the backported
sound stuff from http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/ with the emu_10kx
driver on an old sblive! value.  The driver exposes front and rear
outputs as separately when compiled with options
SND_EMU10KX_MULTICHANNEL.  In order to expose that functionality to
applications, I'm using the pulseaudio (formerly polypaudio) port with
the module-combine capability to relink the front and rear channels into
a virtual multichannel source.  Xine from ports/packages has pulseaudio
support enabled out of the box.  Mplayer, as of now, still supports
polypaudio instead.  There's a patch out there to convert it to
pulseaudio, but I had compile issues, even when using the same svn
release that the patch was against.

I just wanted to share this in case anyone else was working to get
multichannel output working for them.