speex upgrade to 1.1.12 ?

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Thu Feb 22 20:45:28 UTC 2007

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 14:26:48 -0600, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo at icir.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 02:22:20PM -0600, Jeremy Messenger wrote:

>> > Just curious - now the library number (used to be 3) goes back to 1,
>> > so is there anything that expect version number not to go back ?
>>
>> I am a bit confuse with your question, so I am not sure if I answer
>> correct to your question. It is expected to go back to 1, because it is
>> correct number. The speex in Linux has .so.1 too. There is a bug in
>
> well basically the question was that for good or bad, the previous
> version of the library (speex.1.0.5) in FreeBSD was 3
> and now becomes something different even though the ABI has not
> changed (hopefully; we know it is backward compatible, i have no
> idea if it has more in it).

We could hack it to make it stays 3 instead go with 5, but I figure that
the ltverhack will giving us a good job in the long run than hack at the
each times by ourselves. No more to figure out if it is backward
compatible or whatever. This decision will be made by the speex
developer(s).

> On the other hand, if the linux version is .1 maybe some scripts and
> makefiles look for .1 so it is more convenient to use the same
> version number. Fair enough.

Yeah, that's true. When the ltverhack was added, a lot of Mono ports don't
need many patches anymore. Many of mono apps use dlopen() on libraries.

Cheers,
Mezz

> 	cheers
> 	luigi

FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)
http://wiki.freebsd.org/multimedia  -  multimedia at FreeBSD.org