speex upgrade to 1.1.12 ?

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Wed Feb 21 20:17:13 UTC 2007

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 13:24:14 -0600, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo at icir.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 01:00:56PM -0600, Jeremy Messenger wrote:

>> After checking, which port are you talking about? I only see one
>> (net/opal) and it is not depend on speex-devel by default. Unless, my
>> grep
>> is incorrect?
>
> linphone originally depends on speex.1.1.12, and there is a patch
> in the port to change the test and look for 1.0.5 (which may work,
> but while 1.1.x is backward compatible, it is not clear that code
> written to use 1.1.12 will be happy to use an older version.)
>
> ./net/asterisk-bristuff also has a patch to change the path
> for the old speex location. So far, that's all.

It looks like the net/asterisk-bristuff supports stable and unstable
version by default in its source code when I took a look at
asterisk-bristuff/files/patch-codecs::Makefile?

-ULI_SPEEX=$(wildcard $(CROSS_COMPILE_TARGET)/usr/local/include/speex.h)
-ULIS_SPEEX=$(wildcard
$(CROSS_COMPILE_TARGET)/usr/local/include/speex/speex.h)
+ULI_SPEEX=$(wildcard $(CROSS_COMPILE_TARGET)$(LOCALBASE)/include/speex.h)
+ULIS_SPEEX=$(wildcard
$(CROSS_COMPILE_TARGET)$(LOCALBASE)/include/speex/speex.h

It only change from /usr/local to LOCALBASE and it looks for stable
version first and unstable second.

BTW: I didn't check complete in the tarball, only in files/*.

>> > speex and speex-devel are conflicting.
>>
>> Since, the development version is backwards compatible then you can
>> uninstall speex and install speex-devel. All the ports will be still
>> thinking that you have speex when you try to install them. Also, we have
>> pkgdb/portupgrade and portmaster that are smart enough to take care of
>> it
>> when you update ports.
>>
>> You can add a check in Makefile for if speex exists, then mark it as
>> IGNORE and tell users to uninstall speex and install speex-devel.
>
> can it be automated or it requires manually doing things ?

Manual.

>> > 	http://downloads.us.xiph.org/releases/speex/
>> >
>> > speex-devel is now  the 1.2 branch
>> > Am i missing something ?
>>
>> Yes, it is wrong place to check. Why don't you check its website instead
>> of that ftp or list of distfiles?
>
> got it... looks like we should bump speex-devel to 1.2 :)

Yep. ;-) If I am going to update it, then will you test it for me? Because
I am deaf. Unless, anyone want to take care of it?

>> Anyway, I will be check in several of Linux distros to see what they
>> have.
>> If most of them have 1.1.x, then I guess I will be happy to do the
>> speex-devel -> speex.
>
> doing that check would be great - thanks

I haven't check yet, but I will later in the evening or tomorrow depend on
how much I finish w/ the homeworks/study.

To me, it looks like it is not complete backwards compatible if some ports
have the hardcore path of header? Because of speex and speex-devel have a
bit different headers path (see net/asterisk-bristuff for example). If all
of them are using pkg-config then it should be no problem. It might need
someone to do the build test on all ports with speex-devel. I can ask
portmgr if it's ok for us to do the speex-devel -> speex and let pointyhat
to find out the build failure then we can take care of breaks while we are
there. Or they prefer us to submit PR and let them to run patch in the
experimental build.

BTW: I do not know much about speex, so correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers,
Mezz

> luigi

FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)
http://wiki.freebsd.org/multimedia  -  multimedia at FreeBSD.org