kern/111767: [pcm] ATI SB450 High Definition Audio Controller sound card doesn't work

Coleman Kane cokane at FreeBSD.org
Mon Dec 10 08:00:12 PST 2007

The following reply was made to PR kern/111767; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Coleman Kane <cokane at FreeBSD.org>
To: cokane at FreeBSD.org
Cc: Andy Kosela <andy.kosela at gmail.com>, Nate Lawson <nate at root.org>,
 bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: kern/111767: [pcm] ATI SB450 High Definition Audio Controller
 sound card doesn't work
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 10:53:16 -0500

 Coleman Kane wrote:
 > Andy Kosela wrote:
 >
 >> On Dec 9, 2007 8:27 PM, Coleman Kane <cokane at freebsd.org> wrote:
 >>

 >>> I am going to clean up said dirty hack and then I'll try sending over a
 >>> patch with some instructions that depend upon a loader.conf hint to set
 >>> the memory range manually. Then hopefully we'll have something working
 >>> until some auto-remapper for PCI mem ranges can be implemented. Oh and I
 >>> feel dirty now so a shower is probably in order.
 >>>
 >>> --
 >>> Coleman Kane
 >>>

 >> Excellent!
 >> I spent the better half of today trying to get Flash working in native
 >> Firefox.. now as I got YouTube videos playing, all I need is the sound
 >> :)
 >> Awaiting your patch with much anticipation...
 >>
 >> --
 >> Best Regards,
 >> Andy Kosela
 >>

 > Hi,
 >
 > I posted updated information here:
 > http://www.cokane.org/dokuwiki/freebsd/amd64_compatibility#getting_the_hp_compaq_6715b_working
 >
 > Scroll down to the "The OnBoard ATI SB600 HDA Audio Controller" section
 > for the real skinny. Basically it creates a patch which can be applied
 > to the sys/dev/pci/pci.c on -CURRENT to enable a tunable that allows you
 > to manually set the PCI mem I/O range for that particular card (the
 > SB600 High-Def Audio Controller). There are a number of instructions for
 > using devinfo and pciconf to determine where you have available I/O
 > memory available. I'll follow up with some more information on getting
 > the SATA controller working tomorrow.
 >
 > --
 > Coleman Kane

 Okay, I've also just posted up the fixes (derived from the patch in PR
 kern/116125:

 The patches that I put on my site only enable support for the IXP600 and
 take into account that the IXP400 and IXP300 SATA support are already in
 the HEAD revision. As always, the patches are against -CURRENT. You must
 apply the sound card fixes in order to get the SATA to work, otherwise
 you'll be getting a bunch of bogus data from the mem i/o ops.

 If you don't fix the sound card memio range: Likely case the driver
 won't attach to the connected device(s), possible unlikely case: wreck
 the data on your drive.

 --
 Coleman Kane