HandBrake post-0.7.1

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Sun Dec 2 20:16:13 PST 2007

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 18:54:49 -0600, Jona Joachim <jaj at hcl-club.lu> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> The version of HandBrake in the ports is 0.7.1. This version doesn't
> build anymore because it is incompatible with the recent versions of
> ffmpeg and mpeg4ip.

Yep, it's too bad.

> I tried porting handbrake 0.9.1 but I encountered several difficulties:
> Handbrake doesn't rely on libraries installed on the system when it
> builds. Instead it will download the source code for all necessary
> libraries, build them and then statically link the whole stuff into a
> big handbrake binary.
>
> The patches of the multimedia/handbrake port heavily modify the
> handbrake Makefile to actually use system libraries instead of
> downloading everything.

Correct, it's why I am not going to work on multimedia/handbrake anymore
like I did in past.

> I was told on IRC that this is *strongly* disencouraged. It shouldn't be
> done with 0.7.1 and it is actually impossible with versions after 0.7.1
> because they apply a lot of handbrake specific patches to the different
> libraries before building them.

With the 0.7.1, it used works great. I have taken a look at 0.9x in past.
I knew that I can't do same thing what ahze and I did with 0.7x, because
of too much specific patches in 0.9x.

> While that method works well on Linux, we as FreeBSD people have a
> problem in that these multimedia libraries (ffmpeg, ogg/vorbis,
> matroska, ...) need FreeBSD specific patches to build. The handbrake
> port would have to include all those patches for the different
> libraries. I tried to make it work but it was very frustrating.

I believe that it can be done by tweak in Makefile to fetch these tarballs
on our own rather than use HandBrake's script. Also copy all of patches
 from other ports to patch in these different libraries then build these
stuff. But it's too much of work and I have no interest in HandBrake
anymore.

> However there is one advantage to the statical linking: the resulting
> binary can run standalone without any dependency/library problems.
> That's why I would recommend the creation of a linux-handbrake port.
> The Linux binary that you can download from their site works under
> Linux compatibility without any problem on FreeBSD.
>
> What's your point of view on this?

Create a linux-handbrake port is a great idea. You should create
linux-handbrake and submit it to PR.

BTW: I am planning to add DEPRECATED/EXPIRATION_DATE in
multimedia/handbrake for maybe two months before remove from our ports
tree.

Cheers,
Mezz

> Best regards,
> Jona

FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)
http://wiki.freebsd.org/multimedia  -  multimedia at FreeBSD.org