advice on webcasting..

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Fri Apr 27 06:01:18 UTC 2007

Gary Corcoran wrote:
> Julian Elischer wrote:

>> though I don't know what they all are.
>> I've haad suggess with mpeg-4 and H264 I think.
>
>My best guesses would be H.263 or MPEG-4 might be the most universally
> receivable, including those of us forced to use Windows (XP) for our
> multimedia machines. But I'm really not sure exactly what Windows
> Media Player and Quicktime for Windows support out-of-the-box. Also
> please try to choose a common audio format (MP3 ?). I remember one of
> your broadcasts (thanks BTW) where I could see the video, but
> couldn't decode the audio...

I have a session running now at:
 rtsp://jello.ironport.com:80/Bsdtest.sdp

try that..
I'll have it up at regular intervals until the devsummit
to allow testing.

not  a lot of action but a video and audio track (low light)
and low bandwidth (often < 100 kbits/sec).
(picture of my study with no motion going on)

It should be mpeg4-video and mpeg-4 audio with mpeg4 packetisation.

for VLC you apparently need:

 Preferences -> check Advanced, go to Input/Codecs->Demuxers->RTP/RTSP and check "Use RTP over RTSP (TCP)"

no idea what you need in mplayer.