Please, test new port: helixplugin

Alexander Leidinger netchild at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 23 07:59:48 UTC 2006

Quoting Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde at aldan.algebra.com> (from Sun, 22 Oct
2006 17:50:45 -0400):

> On Sunday 22 October 2006 17:29, Thierry Thomas wrote:
> = BTW, have you read netchild's blog?
> =
> =<http://bsdblogs.droso.org/netchild/2006/10/19/native-realplayer-for-freebsd/>
>
> The objectives are different :-) I'm just building the plugin part -- it will
> use, whatever is known as "realplay" (or "hxplay") on the system.
>
> The following is the text I tried to add as a follow-up to Alexander's blog,
> but could not (presumably, due to glitches of the web-site):
>
> <<How is this different from the already existing port of
> multimedia/helixplayer ?
>
> It would seem, the existing port is only missing the few codecs, which Real
> can not or would not open-source.

Yes, that's more or less the difference between helixplayer and RealPlayer.

> I'd like to propose, that you concentrate on porting these codecs ONLY and
> rely on the already existing multimedia/helixplayer port already being there
> (RUN_DEPENDS, maybe BUILD_DEPENDS).

Have a look at the way Real is distributing this for Linux or Solaris.
And they do the work, not I or someone else @FreeBSD.org. We just have
a look at the logs and tell them the cause of the problems we see. So
we are locked to their standard way of distributing RealPlayer.

Bye,
Alexander.

> Considering my (pending) multimedia/helixplugin, you, probably, should not
> bother with the browser plugin either...
>
> Good luck! Yours,>>
>
> 	-mi

We are all born mad.  Some remain so.
		-- Samuel Beckett