FreeBSD DV howto?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Oct 17 17:51:32 UTC 2006

In message: <20061017013242.P60110 at abigail.hsd1.mn.comcast.net>
            Brent Casavant <b.j.casavant at ieee.org> writes:
: On Mon, 16 Oct 2006, M. Warner Losh wrote:
:
: > I'm wondering if anybody has a FreeBSD DV how-to.  I have a DV
: > camera and a AMD64 FreeBSD laptop.  I'd like to harvest the pictures
: > from it to (a) archive it in DV25 mode
:
: Just this past weekend I finished capturing about 6.5 hours of DV
: footage from my camera.  I just copied the raw DV streams using:
:
: 	fwcontrol -R myfile.dv
:
: Bear in mind that this file won't have an AVI wrapper around it or
: any other extra bits.  It's just the raw footage.  I've found that
: Kino and iMovie understand these files with no problems.

I've found the dvrecv port.  It works great for capturing the DV
video.  That's not been a problem.

: >  and (b) process it to create a DVD.
:
: I generally use Kino to create a set of cuts and save the list into Kino's
: ".smil" file.  A homegrown Perl script then uses 'dd' to extract the
: clips into individual files.  It's still a little clunky, but it gets
: the job done for my purposes.

Kino gives me a bus error when I run it.  The window pops up and I get
a bus error.  Likely some silly ports dependency issue.

: Until recently I hadn't found anything to take that last step to author
: a DVD on FreeBSD (I had to use a Mac).  Then I ran across dvdstyler
: (in ports), which does the job fairly handily.  Now, creating good-looking
: menus and chapters requires more artistic skill than I myself am blessed
: with, but from a basic functional perspective it worked quite well.  Well
: at least on the one small (~20 minutes of footage) project I used it
: for -- those 6.5 hours of footage I've just captured are going to be my
: personal torture test.

Cool!  I'll have to try that out.

: > It would also be nice 'play' the video on my HDTV that supports
: > 1080p.  I know that DV is 640x480, but that's better than normal NTS,
: > right?
:
: Actually, I believe NTSC DV is 720x480.  Anyway, assuming you can
: author an NTSC DVD using dvdstyler or something of that nature, it
: should work the same way as a purchased video DVD on your TV system.

I'd be happy with 720p.  However, 720p is 1280x720.  480[ip] are
640x480.

: > And kino, which gives me a bus
: > error.  Anything else?
:
: As mentioned 'fwcontrol' (part of the base system).  Kino has some
: Linux-isms built into it, one of which is the expectation to use
: the Linux raw1394 interface for DV capture, which doesn't (to my
: knowledge) exist on FreeBSD.  Instead use fwcontrol to capture the
: DV stream, and Kino to process the resulting file.

Like I said, kino gives a bus error when i run it.  Like right away,
before it can even completely paint the screen.

Warner